TIME TO REFLECT
- THAT MAXI DRESS -
You don’t have to be lost in the wilderness to feel lost, in fact the times I’ve felt most alone and bewildered are in rooms full of people. The feeling of lost has taken me to the other side of the world just to find myself. What is it that makes you tick? Not knowing can drive you insane – not having any purpose when you wake in the morning.
I’m the type of person that needs constant stimulation, I always need to be learning something or being productive. So when hit with that lost feeling I have a few coping mechanisms to get me back on track.
1. Walk away. Walk, run, travel. Whether it’s round the corner or across the world, taking a step out of your current situation to look at it from another perspective enlightens you beyond belief.
2. Stuck in a rut? Hate your job? Sound familiar? Think of what makes you happy. What do you do in your spare time for fun? Do that. Try and turn whatever you do for fun into work so you get to do what you love everyday of your life.
3. Don’t have the same conversation with yourself over and over again. If you’re not happy only you can do something about it. So mix things up and try something new.
4. I always have a theory that I try and explain to people when they think of themselves as unsuccessful… There are several paths up a mountain, not all take you to the top. If you head up a path and it turns out to be a dead end, go back to the bottom and take another route. Don’t waste time and stay on the dead end path, just return and start again. There is a way to the top and no matter how many times you have to go back and start again anybody can make it if they persevere.
5. Don’t spend eight hours a day fulfilling someone else's dream without spending anytime on your own. If your dream is strong enough spend every waking hour your not in work working toward your own goals. No one is going to make your dreams come true accept you.
6. Learn and research. Know of someone that is living your dream? Study them – what are they doing? How did they do it? What did they learn? Study every single thing they did to get them to that place then do the same… only better.
7. Everyone suffers from negative situations at some point in their life. Those that you think never suffered a day in their life could be struggling the most. Don’t compare yourself to others as you don’t know what goes on behind closed doors. Instead lose the self pity and put all your energy into turning something negative into the motivation for something good in your life. Don’t give your energy to someone else.
8. Take a chance. It takes a risk to get anywhere in life. Don’t be afraid to fall flat on your face and make a fool of yourself. If you take a million risks you stand more of a chance than not taking any at all. I take satisfaction in giving something my very best shot and failing because it makes me feel better than never trying at all.
9. Someone once said to me ‘They all laugh at the start and then they ask you how you did it’, it’s a quote I’ve never forgotten. You have to be a beginner at something to ever become an expert. So dive in the deep end and be willing to be awful at something to only get better. Don’t be scared to make a fool of yourself.
10. Go do something today that your future self will thank you for!